Wednesday, March 31, 2010

America's Pastime

On Monday the 5th I will venture out to Arlington like every year. I have been going out there on Opening Day for at least the last 10 years if not 12. It is something I enjoy. The opening day of baseball feels like the first day of spring. Now, I have been before when it is so cold and windy, but still feels like spring. I love walking in and soaking up ever bit of the stadium as if I have never been there before. I can hear the vendors shouting their foods in hopes buyers will buy. I can smell the hot dogs, hear the music, and I get to watch batting practice. When I watch baseball my mind is free of any distractions. I have been an avid fan ever since I was a little kid. I remember I used to turn on my clock radio and listen to the game broadcast on WBAP and fall asleep listening. I don't think mom and dad knew I was doing that, but I had to hear my favorite players announced and hear a victory.

I think baseball was just a part of my life ever since I can remember. I used to play softball and I would envision myself as Dean Palmer and how he would retrieve a ball and I would try to copy him. I was so excited for my 13th birthday I got a Julio Franco batting title t-shirt. And when Pudge Rodriguez joined our team he became my all time favorite player. I have collected almost baseball card of his.

I know many hate the sport, but yet for some reason I enjoy a good ole' game of a stick, ball, and bases. Something about it just excites me. So another year comes and another year I will enjoy my favorite sport of all time. LET'S PLAY BALL!!!

1 comment: